We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
Our team has doubled over the past six months, and we will continue to grow rapidly this year. We're looking for a cash recovery officer who is resourceful and excited about getting things done. In this role, you'll be responsible for working with the risk and compliance department to collect outstanding balances from agents and provide creative solutions to the day-to-day issues that arise as a result of rapid growth.
- Track down agents to recover outstanding agent balances as per defined targets
- Negotiate and convince agents to repay outstanding balances
- Develop cash collection strategies to improve processes
- Work closely with the agent operations team and lawyers on a case by case basis to recover outstanding balances
- Collect compliance documents from the agent operations team for active agents who are old or new
- Daily data input into spreadsheets and weekly status reporting as per provided templates
- Routinely escalate all stubborn cases to the line manager
- Maintain reconciled records of all recovered vs. outstanding funds per agent
- Location is primarily in Kampala with intermittent travel within Uganda
- Work authorization in Uganda required
- 3+ years of cash recovery experience in a financial institution or enterprise
- A bachelor's degree in finance, economics, or a related discipline
- The ability to use Excel is required
- Sound Numeracy skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
You might be a good fit if you.
- Have previously carried out cash recovery for a microfinance bank or other organization
- Have a legal background or experience interfacing with lawyers and police
- Are relentless when pursuing your work and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Are excited about field operations and being hands-on
- Enjoy working with people and are very pro-active
- Are adept at negotiating, especially in challenging situations
- Always seek to improve yourself through honest self-reflection
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.