We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for an HR Generalist who is a self-starter and is highly detail-oriented. Your work will cover three principal areas: account management for all of Wave's external tools, identifying and supporting/leading the implementation of new company tools, knowledge management projects. In addition, this role is expected to support, but not own, the onboarding of remote team members.
This position has the opportunity to grow in various directions, including but not limited to HR Operations, Integration Management, Project Management, and Information Security and IT Helpdesk, depending on the individual's interests. Wave is a rapidly growing company with tremendous internal growth opportunities for motivated individuals.
In this role, you'll:
- Manage 70+ account applications used across various departments and countries; negotiate better pricing and terms as we grow
- Be the first point of contact for a license or access troubleshooting; help develop and own an appropriate system of escalation; help implement a ticketing system
- Research and propose alternative tools given Wave's operational needs
- Support and manage the implementations of new tool rollouts across various departments and countries
- Own knowledge management projects, including centralizing key databases within a single data source or application
- Support the onboarding of remote team members along with the primary onboarding team (located in EST)
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in IT or Human Resources
- 3+ years of professional experience in information technology, human resources, sales, or a similar field
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to a fast-changing environment.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Willing to work hours that match a GMT timezone (to facilitate collaboration with colleagues in Africa)
- Native or fluent English.
- Speak French fluently (Preferred)
- Remote position and can work remotely from anywhere in a GMT timezone.
- Our team meets in Senegal or Cote d'Ivoire every four months for retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you.
- Possess strong skills in problem-solving, communications, collaboration, and leadership
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems and how to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling issues, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Care deeply about the usability of tools and systems that will impact employees' work every day.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.