We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for a Business Analyst who's a self-starter and excels at producing visually compelling analytical content, particularly someone who can be resourceful with irregular data.
Wave is experiencing high-volume growth as we expand our operations from four to eleven countries in East and West Africa. Recruitment is a critical component of this growth, so we're looking for a business analyst who can pair with our recruitment leads to identify and develop metrics specific to their team while also building a strategic overview of the team's work as a whole alongside Wave's Head of Talent.
In this role, you'll:
- Work within our Head of Talent and four Recruitment Leads to develop and hone their data collection, analysis, and presentation
- Navigate large sets of data and derive meaning to deliver insights to stakeholders
- Develop new models and methods for evaluating existing data or correlating new to existing data sources for intuitive reporting solutions
- Advise the recruiting team on their data gathering and cleaning
- Build a visually compelling dashboard that offers strategic insights into the recruiting team's work
- Interpret and evaluate research data and develop compelling story-telling, analyses, and projections for strategic decision-making
- Fluent in English
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years in a similar position
- 1+ year's experience using Looker to build data visualizations
- 2+ years experience with data visualization tools or platforms (e.g. Dashboards, Tableau, etc.)
- 2+ years experience using a language for statistical computing in data mining and extraction (R, Python, Stata, SQL, etc.).
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets (pivot tables, advanced modeling, creating charts/graphs)
- Demonstrate a strong competency in statistics
- Location: Remote
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +3) with reliable Internet access.
- Every two to four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Salary: Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication
- Enjoy networking and meeting new people and thrive at building new relationships
- Dive into new challenges and enjoy identifying creative solutions - hiring for every role at Wave is unique!
- Are incredibly curious about how pieces fit together and use this learning to build optimal solutions
- Adept at independently navigating complex relationships
- Are extremely adaptable and excel in multi-cultural and fast-paced environments
- Process-driven and can implement structure where there is little or none
- Exceptionally organized and pay close attention to detail
- Are a "can-doer" and thrive on executing objectives
- Think from first principles about how things should work
- Think about culture and process from the user's perspective (in this case, our candidates)
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.