We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an IT Operations Regional Lead who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for leading the IT operations across several countries across Africa, ensuring our policies and processes are aligned as we rapidly scale our business across the continent.
In this role, you'll:
- Own the strategic hiring of new IT team members as Wave continues it’s growth into new countries
- Manage 4-8 country IT Managers and support them in developing and managing their own office teams
- Be responsible for negotiating vendor contracts and local procurement, ideally in a regional network
- Be responsible for the network quality of the servers and systems in all Wave office locations, ensure quality upgrades and installations
- Provide technical guidance and own troubleshooting on operational implementations of Wave tools (mobile device management tools, asset management tools ...)
- Create scalable playbooks to help guide employees on how to use equipment and tools used at Wave.
- Advise the Information Security team on the challenges, operational realities, and restrictions in user productivity and system design and in regards to purchasing, network setup and implementing Wave policies and processes.
- 6-10 years experience as the IT Operations Manager in a fast-paced office environment
- Expertise with corporate SaaS applications (such as Google Workspace, Slack, Zoom, etc..) and systems supporting IT operations (such as Excel/Google Sheets skills and IT asset systems such as SnipeIT, ServiceNow, Jira, etc...)
- Fluent in English & French
- Willing to work hours that match a GMT timezone
- Willing to travel to Wave office locations in West/East Africa to support new teams
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Have developed processes with minimal guidance and have implemented them in the field
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.