We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
As our Payroll Manager, you will be part of the People team working in close partnership with the in-country People Ops Managers and the global HR team acting as a key resource for internal partners across the business. You’ll help scale up our payroll function in-country and have the opportunity to expand to new markets.
In your first few months, you'll
- Implement, maintain, and review payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Oversee day-to-day contract management of new hires.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Oversee payments made to interim firms.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of previous experience handling payroll for a high-growth business, deep understanding of labour law and regulation
- Experience with and passion for supporting high growth teams
- Superb time management, prioritization skills, and able to meet deadlines
- Full professional proficiency in French and English
Bonus points if you have
- Experience using BambooHR
- Able to prepare payroll GL file
- Proficient at MS Excel
You might be a good fit if you
- Are very organized and detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty.
- Are driven to face tasks head-on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones.
- Are eager to think outside of the box as it relates to employment law and compliance.
- Are tech-savvy and feel comfortable embracing new technologies.
- Have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.