We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
Our team has grown rapidly throughout the year and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future! We are looking for an experienced and ambitious Head of Technical Recruitment who can guide and grow our technical recruiting team and employer brand. You will inspire our team of top performers by setting a high standard on analytics, process design, experimentation, and story-telling.
- Build and mentor a team of global technical recruiters. We expect our technical recruiting team to grow in the next 12 months and are looking for a strong leader who can hire, motivate, coach, and inspire a high performing team.
- Manage the full-cycle of technical recruitment (source, interview, coordinate) until you have built the team that you need.
- Proactively flag problems and improvement points in the recruitment process.
- Thrive in taking less-well-defined projects and run with them without needing extensive management.
- Deepen our culture of experimentation, analytics, and learning on the recruiting team. Ensure that our ATS (Greenhouse) contains clean, consistent, and accurate data. Run experiments to understand how we can optimize every step in our pipeline.
- Develop diverse pipeline strategies and be the thought leader on designing recruiting processes (such as structured interviewing, interviewer training, use of Metaview and other emerging tools) that result in a fair, inclusive, and exceptional candidate experiences.
- Source diverse world-class candidates who are both technically excellent and exceptional culture fits
- Able to make use of social networks, content-marketing, and whatever creative sources you can think of to find top talent.
- Focus on timely follow ups and persuasive writing to ensure that the candidates have a great experience and have a very low drop-off rate.
- Build and carry out semi-structured interviews with candidates as part of the screening and final interview process
- Deeply understand and be an ambassador for our culture, values, and habits
- Articulate the story and principles of Wave by interviewing employees
- Make sure recruits see and experience the culture during the hiring process
- Produce content for our website, blog, and social media to grow our technical employment brand
- Partner with Wave’s technical team leads to design and build the teams they need to scale
- Learn how each team functions and their mission to build an efficient recruitment strategy
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access in the following countries: US, Canada, Belgium, Germany, UK, Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Kenya, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Uganda or Senegal.
- Every four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 3+ years of ownership of the full recruitment cycle (sourcing, interviewing, hiring) for technical hires
- 2+ years of experience working in-house at a software company recruiting engineers and product managers
- Strong writer and story-teller who is fluent in English
- Experience leading and mentoring a recruiting team
- Very strong verbal/written communication and stakeholder management/relationship skills
- Very strong analytical skills (understands how to build KPIs and can export and handle data in spreadsheets)
- Willing to work hours that match a GMT timezone (to facilitate recruitment in Europe and Africa)
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are excited by our vision of financial inclusion in Africa
- Are incredibly adaptable and experienced in working in a fast-paced environment
- Enjoy networking and meeting new people and thrive at building new relationships
- Are incredibly curious about how pieces fit together and use this learning to build optimal solutions
- Are adept at independently navigating complex relationships
- Are tech savvy and enjoy automating processes
- Make data driven decisions and make use of analytics to understand problems
- Dive into new challenges and enjoy identifying creative solutions - hiring for every role at Wave is unique!
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.