We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a customer service lead who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for leading our customer service team as we rapidly scale our business in Benin.
In this role, you'll:
- Ensure the smooth functioning of customer support services at Wave
- Manage, coordinate and train a team of 100+ support representatives and group leads.
- Building user loyalty by being the voice of Wave when users call in for support or more information
- Managing the Support team, including their schedule and carrying out their performance reviews
- Providing training and refresher courses for the support team to ensure they strengthen their skills and knowledge
- Ensuring quality service for all Wave users
- Reporting bugs detected to engineers
- Preparing periodic reports on the activity of the support
- Assessing and communicating Human Resources and material needs to achieve all support related activities
- Participating and leading interview process for new hires
- Leading by Wave’s values
- Strong proficiency in English, French and Fon (other languages or local languages may be an asset)
- At least 2 years experience leading a team (bonus point if call center team!)
- Experience working at an international company
- A secondary degree education
- At least 1 year's experience in customer service or call center operations
- Location: Primarily based in Cotonou with possible relocation to other offices in Benin
- Work authorization in Benin required
- This is a permanent position
You might be a good fit if you
- Have managed successful teams to achieve ambitious goals
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- Are analytical in your approach to problems
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Have mobile wallet or money transfer background
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.