We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an Accountant who’s resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. You'll be responsible for helping developing and maintaining an effective financial and accounting unit as we rapidly scale our business in Senegal.
In this role, you'll:
- Book accounting entries
- Prepare tax provisions schedules, returns, payments, reports and maintain a company’s tax database
- Provide financial information by researching and analyzing accounting data
- Find tax solutions to complicated tax issues or errors from incorrect tax filings
- Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Handle financial closing tasks under Assistant Controller’s supervision
- Advise management about the impact of tax liabilities and corporate strategies or new tax laws
- Prepare payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements.
- Maintain confidence and protect operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Keep up-to-date with tax changes and industry trends by participating in educational opportunities, participating in professional organizations, keeping up with professional networks and reading professional publications.
- Accurately prepare quarterly and annual tax reports.
- Lead by living Wave's values, and ensure they're deeply engrained within your team.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Dakar and may travel to field locations.
- Work authorization in Senegal.
- This is a permanent position.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting or Tax
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a similar position
- Strong experience with financial reporting requirements
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Fluent in English - this role will interact regularly with non-French/Wolof speakers.
- Speak both French and Wolof fluently.
- Good computer skills especially in Word and Excel
Bonus if you:
- Have corporate tax experience directly related to filing multi-state payroll and sales & use tax returns
- Have experience in a multi-entity reporting environment
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.