We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Cash Manager who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for managing cash recovery from our agent network as we rapidly scale our business in Burkina Faso.
In this role, you'll:
- Seek to understand all our cash movements in Burkina Faso
- Project cash requirements for our agent network using tailored tools
- Determine which regions and agents have surplus cash as well as which ones are running deficits
- Work with our partner banks to ensure that all cash deficit agents and regions are settled
- Coordinate the collection of cash from cash surplus agents using our super agent network, bank deposits and face to face transfers between agents
- Act as a link between the treasury and agent management teams to coordinate cash related activities
- Manage a team of cash officers
- Undertake ad-hoc requests by members of the team
- Be the main custodian of the office safe and ensure that the safe guidelines are adhered to
- Maintain excellent relationships between the company and our partner banks
- Work with our software engineers to ensure that we have the best tools possible to accomplish our mission
- Report to the Liquidity Manager with strategies of how to ensure the company is efficient in its cash utilization and recovery
- Location is primarily based in Ouagadougou with possible short-term relocation within Burkina Faso
- Work authorization in Burkina Faso required
- Proficient in French, English, and one local dialect
- At least 4 years' relevant experience in a similar role
- Bachelor's Degree in a Finance or Management related course
- A Master's degree in Finance or Management related course is an added advantage
- Any experience working at a financial institution (bank, money transfer service or micro-finance) at a managerial level is also an added advantage
You might be a good fit if you
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- Are analytical in your approach to problems
- Are comfortable using Google Spreadsheet
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Have developed processes and training with minimal guidance and have implemented them in the field
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.