We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
You’ll help scale our engineering team so that we can effectively launch and grow all the new products our users are demanding.
Wave’s core money-transfer product has a massive network effect in Senegal, where over half the adult population uses it every month. But we’re not stopping there: we want to build Wave into a more convenient way to do any type of economic transaction. That means building lots of new products on top of the core system, which means launching lots of new product teams.
As Director of Engineering, you’ll support several product/engineering teams working on adjacent areas of Wave’s product. You will:
- Help your teams build new products, and scale existing ones, to make millions of users happier
- Set the quality bar for tech execution and empower your teams to hit it
- Recruit exceptional engineers and managers
- Mentor and coach team leads to become more effective
- Strengthen Wave’s engineering culture and processes
- Help spin up new teams as our product surface area grows
- You value working on software whose mission you can believe in.
- You care a lot about doing the right thing, both for users and for coworkers.
- You have previous experience managing managers.
- You have a strong track record of recruiting highly effective engineers and managers.
- You have exceptional judgment: you hone in on the most important considerations and think rigorously about the trade-offs between them.
- You have previous experience coping with a rapidly-growing team, company and user base.
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access.
- Every two to four months, you’ll travel to Africa for a one-week retreat with the rest of Wave’s remote team. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, depending on your level of experience and location, we offer a salary range of $164,000 - $190,000 (or local equivalent), plus extremely generous equity.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.