We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
You will be our first legal hire in Mali! You’ll be responsible for setting up the systems and structure in Mali and be the point person for all legal matters in Mali as we grow. You’ll report to our Head of Legal in Senegal who covers all legal matters in our initial launch countries.
- Ensuring compliance of the company's activity with local regulations
- Working closely with all teams to advise them in accordance with national and international regulations ;
- Drafting or reviewing all contracts signed by the Company
- Providing legal advice for questions related to the regulation applicable to the company’s activity (specific regulation related to E-money, commercial regulation, labor law; civil and penal law, etc.)
- Ensuring that the company is up to date with its administrative obligations related to regulatory authorities;
- Helping in the management of the agent's network through legal issues related to contractual changes and cash recovery
- Helping the People team with all the questions related to labor laws and employees’ contracts ;
- Working with external law firms to manage litigations or other more complex issues;
- Being the point of contact for all other legal services’ external providers (notary, bailiff, etc.) ;
- Drafting or registering all the documents related to the relations of the company with its parent company and affiliated companies ;
- Ensuring the Legal secretary (assistance in drafting decisions of shareholder, their registration, and publication);
- Setting an in-house legal culture.
- Location is primarily in Bamako with short-term relocation possible within the country
- Work authorization in Mali required
- Open-ended contract with a trial period of 3 months renewable where needed
- Secondary degree education in corporate law
- At least 5 years experience with a consulting and audit firm, mobile money company, bank, micro-finance company;
- Well organized, detail-oriented with accurate, clear legal approach;
- Very good writing skills and excellent listening and communication skills ;
- Very good level to fluent in English ;
- Native speaker or fluent in French.
You might be a good fit if
- You are able to efficiently and quickly apply the instructions given to you by your lead and identify problems or blocking points to be reported ;
- You like teamwork, but you also know how to work well independently when needed;
- You are at ease in drafting/reviewing contracts in French/English ;
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done ;
- You are analytical in your approach to problems ;
- You are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.