We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
At Wave, Head of Agent Operations role will involve:
- Reporting to the Agent Network Lead, the position has the responsibility to develop our mobile money business model and increase the quality of the network, assist in the continued roll-out to market and growth of the mobile money business in Mali.
- Strategic Plan: Coordinate the roll-out and management of Wave’s Mobile Money Business through acquisition, quality increase and growth of agents in compliance with the set agent selection criteria and ensuring customer usage of agent outlets in coordination with marketing and the distribution team. Aim to meet set operations OKRs
- Increase quality rate of agent network, work closely with Audit department and liquidity
- Manage Regional Leads on ensuring continuous increase of the quality rate of the network
- Execute operational excellence, cost management and compliance to internal policies, regulation and guidelines.
- Develop and consistently improve existing processes around Mobile Money (Work closely with IT to ensure that Agency infrastructure is available and secure, work closely with Legal to ensure that Mobile Money agreements meet Wave and Partner Bank’s requirements, Work closely with Finance, Compliance and Customer Service for statutory reporting).
- Lead the analysis of agent performance, identify what is working and what is not, and take actions to remedy what is not as well as champion customer service and implementation of quality service delivery standards.
- Ensure adherence to best practice in terms of service delivery by Agents/AML, KYC,CFT, and Cash Management;
- Monitor approval of agents and ensure recruited agent documents are timely submitted verified and meet regulatory requirements.
- To maintain cordial relation and discipline amongst the staff and help to implement innovative actions
- Ensuring continuous improvement in customer service and implementing effective retention of customers within the mobile money agent network.
- To ensure adequate training of all agents and staff and clear agent and customer issues tracking, escalation and resolution.
- Other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Burkina Faso (or from home), with occasional travel to field locations.
- You must have work authorization in Burkina Faso.
- This is a permanent position.
- Fluent in English - this role will interact regularly with non-French/non-Mooré speakers.
- Speak both French and Mooré fluently.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience specifically managing an agent network in Burkina Faso, including minimum 2 years of experience managing field-based teams
You might be a good fit if you
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets.
- Enjoy owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Have built and led strong teams in achieving key results.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- Think about culture and process from the users' perspective.
- Are tech-savvy: comfortable navigating excel and on-boarding to new tools.
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.