We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Procurement Officer who’s resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. Under the Financial Controller’s supervision, you'll be responsible for overseeing purchasing activities and together with the requesting unit ensuring that purchased items are both cost-efficient and of high quality.
In this role, you'll:
- Oversee all purchasing activities
- Follow, enforce and improve the company’s procurement policies and procedures
- Prepare plans for the purchase of equipment, services and supplies working with the requesting units
- Review, compare, analyze and approve products and services to be purchased
- Research and evaluate prospective suppliers
- Evaluate suppliers on a yearly basis at least
- Maintain and update a vendor master file
- Maintain good supplier relations and negotiate contracts
- Prepare budgets, cost analyses and reports
- Location: You'll work from our office in Dakar and may travel to field locations.
- Work authorization in Senegal.
- This is a permanent position.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business management
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a procurement officer or in a similar position
- Good computer skills especially in Excel and Word
- Knowledge of software tools
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Good analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Supervisory and management experience
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Fluent in English - this role will interact regularly with non-French/Wolof speakers
- Speak both French and Wolof fluently
Bonus if you:
- Have experience in logistics or supply chain management
You might be a good fit if you
- Possess proven procurement skills
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a critical thinker that likes to challenge status quo.
- Are deadline-orientated.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions, while managing time factor.
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.