We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Head of Business Development who can lead Wave’s business development team as we rapidly scale our business across Africa. You’ll be responsible for establishing a dynamic business development team that can acquire the partners to support the ranging needs of different teams (products, integrations, agent network) in each Wave operating country.
We’re looking for a great manager who enjoys building and nurturing teams, and has a excellent track record in strategic partnership building.
Our business development team currently include 3 people in Senegal and 4 people in Cote d’Ivoire. We expect to have at least one business development person in each of our new markets (3 additional markets planned for 2021!)
In this role, you'll:
- Manage and scale Wave’s business development teams across multiple countries, including identifying the optimal structure, hiring the individuals needed and leading the team as Wave grows into new markets.
- Design and shape processes to define the business development team’s role and execute efficiently in meeting the business’ dynamic needs.
- Deeply understand how Wave operates and positions itself, in order to effectively prioritize work in response to complex or challenging problems faced across Wave’s different teams
- Facilitate communication between external partners and internal Wave teams (Product, Finance, Distribution)
- Proactively build multi-country partnerships that are effective in achieving Wave’s objectives
- Lead by living Wave's values, and ensure they're deeply engrained within your team
- 5+ years experience in a senior management role at a global organization
- Excellent leadership skills. Have led a team of at least 8 people at a global company.
- Fluent in English. Bonus points, if also a fluent French speaker
- 4+ years of experience either in finance or technology sectors leading partnerships or business development in West Africa
- Strong track record in building country level and multi-country partnerships in Africa
- Very strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- Willing to work hours that match a GMT timezone (to facilitate collaboration with colleagues in Africa)
- Optional: experience working in the mobile money sector
- Remote position and can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -8 and +4) with reliable Internet access
- 50% travel required. You’ll be expected to work closely with teams in country to troubleshoot and escalate
- Our team meets in Senegal or Cote d’Ivoire every four months for retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you
- Slow-moving processes or partners frustrate you, but you’re inclined to lean into the problem and push however you can rather than accept a slow pace.
- A clear and proactive communicator, you are able to independently follow through on tasks and can manage priorities effectively.
- You know how to navigate working with senior partners and stakeholders by spotting and seizing upon mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Well organized and can manage competing priorities
- You can quickly learn regulatory requirements and prioritize paths to meeting them.
- You’re enthusiastic about Wave’s mission and excited to do what needs to be done to achieve it
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.