We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
As a Global Compensation Specialist, you will be part of the HR Systems & Mobility team, you will focus on a variety of initiatives across compensation planning, benefits, and equity programs.
In your first few months, you'll
- Understand Wave’s approach to compensation and rewards,
- Benchmark jobs against salary surveys data and other market intelligence to determine competitive compensation ranges for each position.
- Participate in and prepare salary survey submissions, refresh compensation ranges.
- Maintain Wave’s job classifications, assist in the assignment of job levels to Wave roles.
- Work with the HR Systems & Global Mobility team on the development, implementation, and administration of compensation programs.
- Prepare and present summary reports of job analysis and compensation analysis information.
- Conduct data and cost analyses to be used in compensation package determination and negotiations.
- Closely engage the People Team, HR Generalists and Talent Acquisition to solve operational compensation-related business challenges.
- Stay current with market trends by conducting regular benchmark analysis and ensuring compliance with local regulations related to compensation and benefits program implementation.
- Monitor competitiveness of compensation programs, model their cost implications and recommend effective solutions.
- Review, analyze and recommend benefit policy changes to support total rewards strategy
- Use analytics to monitor the effectiveness of compensation plans, programs and policies.
- 4+ years of experience as a compensation analyst, preferably in the SaaS/technology industry.
- Extensive knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods, superb ability to work with compensation data.
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to handle high levels of ambiguity.
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Excel / Google sheets
- Superb time management, prioritization skills, and able to meet deadlines
- A high degree of personal integrity.
Bonus points if you have
- PHR or SPHR Certificate
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP)
- Experience using BambooHR
- Speak French
- Location: Remote
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +3) with reliable Internet access.
- Every two to four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Salary: Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you
- Are very organized and detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty.
- Are driven to face tasks head-on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones.
- Are eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks.
- You’re eager to leverage both internal and external data to inform your decision-making.
- You believe in iteration, and work to improve processes.
- Are tech-savvy and feel comfortable troubleshooting tech issues.
- Have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently and within a team
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.