We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
At Wave, in this role you will:
- Assist the Head of Risk in the development and implementation of a Fraud and Revenue Assurance strategy.
- Establish controls policies and procedures for all areas of fraud and revenue losses, with if needed the assistance of the Engineering team.
- Define customer communication and suspicious activity awareness process and implementation.
- Identify and assess fraud risks.
- Identify and clearly document leakage and controls points. Highlight any gaps in operational tools.
- Create and maintain a risk register for all identified and potential fraud risks.
- Define and implement control procedures to mitigate identified fraud risks and revenue loss scenario.
- Implement indicators which monitor the fraud cases and the fraud team activities.
- Participate if needed to the configuration of new products and changes on production systems before implementation.
- Assist in the de development and implementation of adequate test scripts for commercial initiatives and other revenue impacting configuration before roll out
- Implement indicators which monitor the fraud cases and the fraud team activities
- Develop and implement RA and Fraud reporting dashboard for indicators
- Report on all revenue loss and fraud incidents to management
- Report all relevant fraud cases to the adequate entity.
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Abidjan, with occasional travel to field locations in Cote d'Ivoire .
- This is a permanent position.
- ECOWAS work authorization strongly preferred
You might be a good fit if you
- Have strong understanding of data analysis, auditing and reconciliation methods and procedures.
- Have an excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Have strong communication skills with all levels of management in a professional capacity.
- Have the ability to work effectively under time constraints and deliver results by critical deadlines.
- Good at process documentation and effective at knowledge transfer.
- Are adaptable and a creative thinker, and willing to iterate and fail quickly
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication
- Think from first principles (basic theoretical form) about how things should work
- Think about culture and process from the users' perspective
- Have built and led strong teams in achieving key results.
- Are self-motivated and able to work under pressure.
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.