We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Senior Risk Officer who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You will assist the Head of Risk in the implementation, optimization and monitoring of risk management framework of all types of risk (strategic, financial, regulatory, operational, IT and cyber).
At Wave, in this role you will:
- Participate in the development of the risk mapping (risk identification and evaluation);
- Formulate and follow-up risk mitigation recommendations;
- Participate in the evaluation and implementation of internal control systems;
- Participate in the drafting of procedures;
- Conduct operational audits/permanent control;
- Assist in disseminating an adequate risk culture;
- Proceed to periodic reporting on risk management;
- Identify incidents to report, investigate and escalate risk issues;
- Anticipate changes in risk trends and their effects on the organization;
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in IT, business administration, finance, criminology or other relevant disciplines
- Fluent English and French
- 5+ years’ experience in risk management
- Willingness to travel 5% of the time in Côte d'Ivoire
- Location: You'll work from our office in Abidjan, with occasional travel to field locations in Cote d'Ivoire .
- This is a permanent position.
- ECOWAS work authorization strongly preferred
You might be a good fit if you
- Have excellent analytical skills and a taste for in-depth technical investigation;
- Have a strong track record of collaborating and partnering with cross-functional teams;
- Have a strong ability to perform multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a rapidly changing environment;
- Have written and oral communication and presentation skills, including the ability to convince and influence a wide range of partners at all levels. An additional certification for fraud and compliance will be a plus;
- Function well under pressure and high-stress environments;
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication;
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do;
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth;
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done;
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.