We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an Agent Operations Lead who’s experienced in managing teams, executing on a strategy, resourceful and excited about rolling up their sleeves to work in the field. You'll be responsible for executing as we rapidly scale our agent network in Uganda.
In this role, you'll:
- Build and manage teams who are responsible for growing Wave’s agent network.
- Coordinate the development, roll-out and management of Wave’s agent network in Uganda through acquisition and growth of quality agents in compliance with an approved agent selection criteria.
- Build the roadmap for the agent team in Uganda to achieve its cycle’s key objectives:
- Work closely with your line manager to determine key objectives and operationalise strategies
- Take ownership of operations to rapidly scale Wave's agent network to thousands of agents in Uganda with the processes and people needed
- Execute in Uganda on developing an agent management program that gives agents the right skills and expertise to serve our users.
- Coordinate and ensure diverse projects on the roadmap are on track by:
- Setting up clear responsibilities for the team and provide day to day management and mentorship of team members.
- Working closely with People, Compliance, Agent Liquidity, Bizdev and Support teams to align activities.
- Help to develop Wave’s global strategy by sharing insights and learning from the team’s experience in Uganda - Identify what is working and what is not; and take actions to ensure a high standard of service and sustainable growth
- Lead by living Wave's values, and ensure they're deeply engrained within your team
- Language: Strong proficiency in English and being fluent in a local language is an added advantage.
- Previous Experience: Has already led/managed an agent network teams. Preferably an at least 5 years’ experience as a head of mobile money or agency banking.
- Education: Equivalent of a Bachelor Degree - A secondary degree in Sales and Marketing, IT, Business Management or comparable field
- Tools : Spreadsheets Proficiency
- Willingness to travel up to 70% of the time within Uganda.
- Strong on integrity
- Proven experience in customer relationship management
- Strong negotiation skills
- Bonus points if you have extended experience in retail banking with a large financial institution in the field without significant issues.
- Location: Kampala, Uganda with frequent field visits
- This is a permanent position
- Work Authorization in Uganda is required
You might be a good fit if you
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of overcommunication.
- Strong sales acumen and negotiation skills
- Enjoy owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Have built and led strong teams in achieving key results.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- Think about culture and process from the users' perspective.
- Are tech-savvy: comfortable navigating excel and onboarding to new tools.
- Have strong analytical skills / strong proficiency in spreadsheets
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.