We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
Within a few years of launch, we have over 4 million active users across Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire, collectively saving millions of dollars in fees each month. We want to grow even faster in other countries .
We are looking for someone to lead our business operations who is resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. While our Country Launcher is focused on our user growth and is mainly in the field, our Launch Business Operations Lead will ensure other aspects of the business are addressed to ensure we can scale rapidly.
In this role, you are the bridge between external companies/partners and the internal Wave teams. You will cultivate the relationships, establish partnerships and execute contracts based on the needs of the product and operation teams as we rapidly scale our business.
- Partnerships and Relationships: Build and strengthen partnerships with between Wave and key entities like banks, telecom companies, and business that Wave needs to succeed. This will involve extensive research and leveraging your networks to determine who is the best partner for Wave, then owning the acquisition. You also will manage the relationships with all external stakeholders and ensure that Wave’s service level agreements are met.
- Operations Management: Manage business operations in key areas of the business such as business development, compliance and reporting.
- Compliance: Ensure that Wave complies with all the relevant regulations and specifications externally and internally. Externally, this will mean making sure that we comply with the government business regulations. You will facilitate the acquisition of different licences as needed and point out any other compliance bottlenecks that we need to fix. Internally, this will require you to a) know what Wave requires from all its countries of operation and b) constantly hold different department and business unit heads accountable to make sure they are complying with the Wave standards.
- Strategic Reporting: Produce key business performance reports on a periodic basis for Wave partners. This can be weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually or as needed.
- Facilitate communication between external partners and internal Wave teams (Product, Finance, Distribution)
- Do whatever it takes to get Wave up and running in a lot of countries! This will involve helping with a wide array of tasks across multiple disciplines.
- Propagate Wave culture and ensure that Wave is a fun and rewarding place to work.
- Location : country selected for the expansion
- Because we operate in many countries, we have a week-long retreat for managers and remote staff every four months in one of our operating countries. These are optional (particularly during COVID-19) but encouraged.
- Language: Excellent written and verbal skills in English and any other local language(s)
- Previous Experience: 6+ years of relevant experience building and managing partnerships (3+ years)
- Previous Experience: 4+ years leading a team at a rapidly scaling organisation
- A background in leading operations launch in a Fintech, startup or mobile money operations is an added advantage
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger and Uganda, in addition to Remote team members spread across several locations. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.