We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Cash Manager who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for managing cash recovery from our agent network as we rapidly scale our business in Mali.
In this role, you'll:
- Seek to understand all our cash movements in Mali
- Project cash requirements for our agent network using inbuilt tools by building a comprehensive forecasting system to enable proper cash distribution and collection.
- Fund withdrawal agents and premium adequately on a daily basis
- Work with our partner banks to ensure that cash is available always 48 hours in advance for withdrawal areas
- Design a liquidity forecasting system through analysis to define cash needed in each region based on past cash needed (cash out) and seasonality context
- Coordinate the collection of cash to be deposited in the adequate bank accounts by agents or super agents for next day usage
- Help supervise super agents (or CIT partnerships/logistics)/Premium agent officers and cash officers under your management and manage their day to day activities
- Manage cash officers located in our premiums (Wave Offices) in regards to cash management
- Ensure that our books are properly reconciled and closed on a daily basis
- Maintain excellent relationships between the company and our partner banks
- Prioritize the biggest problems blocking the unit’s performance and impact.
- Report to the Head of Treasury with strategies of how to ensure the company is efficient in its cash utilization
- Location is based in Bamako
- Work authorization in Mali required
- Proficient in French and English
- At least 4 years' relevant experience in treasury or operations
- Bachelor's Degree in a Finance or Management related course
Preferable aptitudes and qualities
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to urgent troubleshooting needs
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- Are analytical in your approach to problems (Very important!)
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Have developed processes and designed forecasting models for treasury/cash flow operations purposes
bonus points if you
- Have a Master's degree in Finance or Management related course
- Have worked at a financial institution (bank, money transfer service or micro-finance) at a Managerial level
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.