We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
You will join Wave’s existing four-member finance team as our Assistant Financial Controller. This role plays a vital part in the operations of the company by ensuring a timely close of our financials to meet our monthly reporting requirements.
You will be responsible for:
- Oversight of our US legal entities, leading our annual consolidated and local statutory audits and ensuring all compliance requests are fulfilled
- Assisting our Controller in the review of our consolidated financials and our consolidated annual audit
- Maintain and own processes for the monthly close, including all journal entry postings
- Perform balance sheet reconciliations on all legal entities outside of Africa
- Monitor and continue to develop control documentation
- Management of FloQast close management software
- Prepare tax filings for all legal entities outside of Africa
- Location: Remote, you will need to be based in the USA between UTC -5 with reliable internet access
- Every two to four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Salary: Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 5 years experience in accounting, and a plus if in the Financial Services industry operating in a multi currency environment
- 2 years of experience preparing federal and state income tax returns
- Have demonstrable experience of leading an audit
- Strong grasp of financial close process
You might be a good fit if you have:
- CPA or similar designation or in process of obtaining such designation.
- Are enthusiastic about learning new reporting tools, solving unique problems, and optimizing processes.
- Can navigate ambiguity and find creative ways to solve problems.
- Are a goal-oriented leader, capable of working on fast-moving small team as both an individual contributor and manager
- Are passionate about Wave's mission and eager to do what needs to be done to achieve it
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.