We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re forming a risk team to enable us to continue building great infrastructure for millions of users while protecting them from scammers and fraudsters. We’re looking for someone with both product and anti-fraud/risk experience to lead this team.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Owning our company wide fraud/scam user impact metrics
- Making tough product decisions (sometimes on very short notice) to prioritize trade-offs between enabling and blocking users
- Leading a team of engineers, analysts and operations staff to execute on our risk strategy
- Identifying and assessing fraud risks, both thinking ahead and responding quickly to new problems as they arise
- Working from first principles to understand both our users and the attackers
- Learning and updating our risk strategy based on both user interviews and data
- Designing and building internal tools to help our teams detect and block fraudulent activity
You might be a good fit if you
- Have strong professional product management experience in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment and in the payments, identity or anti-fraud space.
- If you have worked on a risk team and have managed/led non-engineering teams
- Are passionate about both user experience and data-driven decisions
- Have strong analytics skills and are not afraid to learn or use new tools, write SQL, dig through internal scam reports, look at the source code, call users up, or do whatever else it takes to get data and make decisions quickly.
- Are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- Excel at cross-cultural communication.
- Bonus points if you speak French!
- Location: Remote
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +3) with reliable Internet access.
- Every two to four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Salary: Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, we are offering a salary range of 116,000-170,000 USD depending on past work experience, plus equity
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.