We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
Our team has grown quickly in the past 6 months and will continue to grow this year. We are looking for an ambitious Visual Designer to support print and digital design at Wave. A majority of the projects will be print-based, however, there will also be layout, production, and visual design-related projects.
While the work will be based on our brand identity and guidelines, you will have a hand in forming visuals and creating assets for the Product Brand and Employer Brand. Under the Marketing department, the Visual Designer will work closely with the Designer and Product Marketing Manager.
As a Visual Designer, you’ll:
- Create a variety of materials including social media graphics, blog graphics, recruiting materials, newsletters graphics, print assets, and more using our current visual language
- Adhere to project requirements and concepts while taking direction from senior designers
- Design digital and print collateral, including social media for the Employer Brand and Product Brand
- Create print assets for BTL marketing, events, and activations
- Create and improve visuals for external and internal presentations
- Assist with day to day Marketing and Business Development design planning and creation
- Contribute to quality of design output of Product Marketing team by offering insightful perspective and critique during team critique sessions
- Balance multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Remote position and can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +3) with reliable Internet access
- Every two to four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Fluent in English
- Preferable if you can (speak/read/write) French - a lot of our print vendors communicate in French
- 3 to 6 years of relevant work experience
- Strong visual and communications design skills
- Have knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Interest in creating tasteful, conversion-focused marketing campaigns
- Experience with motion design, animation, and video editing
- Excellent typography, vector, and illustration skills
- Experience in designing for a variety of print applications
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Are comfortable working with existing brand guidelines
- Have a growth mindset and are eager to learn new things
You might be a good fit if you
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets.
- Are able to work quickly and take initiative for projects
- Embrace collaboration in the creative process
- Have experience giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Love owning projects - you are autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination. Priorities can change quickly and making sure everyone is on the same page is important.
- We have a continuously growing in-country team in Senegal, Cote D'Ivoire and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.