We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel who’s resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. You'll be responsible for providing robust, accurate, and pragmatic legal assistance to our operational teams as we rapidly scale our business in Côte d’Ivoire.
In this role, you'll;
- Help review all the contracts or legal documents to ensure adequacy with the company’s interests and protection and alignment with the regulation
- Help draft contract templates for the company’s new products/services or projects
- Help provide legal advice for questions related to the regulation applicable to the company’s activity (specific regulation related to E-money, commercial regulation, labor law, civil and penal law, etc.)
- Work hand in hand with the Recovery team to fill the recovery cases and do the follow-up with lawyers
- Work with the Head of Legal to prepare the defense of the company in case of litigation for claims
- Set up a legal watch for the company’s activity
- Electronic and physical archiving of all legal documents
- Be the Legal secretary
- Location: Abidjan.
- Work authorization in Côte D’Ivoire is required.
- This is a permanent position.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships and fitness classes.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and a beautiful office space.
- A degree in Law
- At least 5 years experience with a consulting and audit firm, mobile money company, bank, micro-finance company
- Well-organized, detail-oriented with an accurate, clear legal approach
- Excellent writing skills and excellent listening and communication skills
- Very Good to fluent in English
- Native speaker or fluent in French.
You might be a good fit if you
- Can efficiently and quickly apply the instructions given to you by your lead and identify problems or blocking points to be reported
- Enjoy teamwork, but you also know how to work independently when needed.
- Are at ease in drafting/reviewing contracts in French/English
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are analytical in your approach to problems
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors, including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Please add a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
Wave is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.