We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Fraud Risk & Compliance Lead for Uganda who’s resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. You'll be responsible for helping protect the interests of Wave mobile money customers, agents, and the business from fraud risk and ensure Wave’s regulatory and operational compliance on an ongoing basis while ensuring that our services remain accessible and easy to use by the target users.
In this role, you’ll:
- Create and review regulatory compliance documentation
- Coordinate the creation, review, and implementation of policies and procedures resulting from new laws and regulations
- Apply and interpret audit and compliance requirements for various departments
- Work closely with the Group Compliance Lead and other Senior Executives
- Coordinate regulatory inspections and internal business unit audits
- Interact with external auditors on matters related to audits of the organization’s internal controls
- Establishing self-audit and compliance monitoring programs
- File regulatory reports and other documentation
- Coordinate the rollout and training of new or updated policies and directives when required
- Review and draft related policy and operating procedures
- Prepare fraud awareness training materials and participate in training delivery in liaison with the agent network training manager to staff and agents.
- Define customer communication and suspicious activity awareness process and implementation.
- Identify and assess fraud risks;
- Determine the vulnerabilities of our customers (transnational fraud risk), agents (channel fraud risk), and staff (internal fraud risk) as potential targets for fraud.
- Build and maintain a portfolio of potential types of fraud and ways to mitigate them in collaboration with the Engineering Product Manager – Fraud.
- Establish effective controls – work with operations and engineering teams to design and build effective operational and digital controls;
- Preventive Controls
- Detective Controls
- Work with the internal teams to provide the required tools for fraud detection, investigation, and prevention.
- Reliable and relevant data and dashboards, including partner and statutory reporting.
- Clear reporting and communication channels between stakeholders, including customers.
- Define internal mechanisms to report, investigate and escalate issues and take action upon detecting suspicious activity.
- Lead in investigating fraud cases, build internal investigative ability, and liaise with the legal department and local authorities to close cases.
- Monitor and review the fraud risk management strategy
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Kampala, with occasional travel to field locations in Uganda
- This is a permanent position
- Work authorization in Uganda is strongly preferred
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than six months
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies
- Airtime reimbursement.
- A beautiful office space.
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Business Administration, Finance, Criminology, or other relevant disciplines
- +10 years of relevant experience in mobile money, banking, or other financial sectors
- At least 3 years with financial sector case investigative, fraud risk controls, regulatory requirements, and the market practices
- Experience in building and leading strong teams in achieving key results
- A qualification in Audit with previous experience would be an advantage
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
You might be a good fit if you
- Have good analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Are self-motivated and able to work under pressure.
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.