We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
As our Senior Global Payroll Manager, you will be part of the HR Tech team and will focus on making Wave’s global payroll practice seamless.
In the role, you'll:
- Manage the global payroll process for our organization including processing payroll in multiple countries
- Ensure that all payroll-related documentation is accurate and up-to-date
- Review and approve payroll reports and ensure that all data is accurate and complete
- Develop and implement payroll policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations in any launch countries
- Stay up-to-date on changes to payroll regulations and compliance requirements in multiple countries
- Lead and manage a team of local payroll managers and administrators, providing guidance and support as needed
- Work collaboratively with other departments, including People, Finance and Operations to ensure that all payroll-related processes are aligned and effective
- Respond to employee payroll-related inquiries and provide support as needed
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, depending on your level of experience and location, we offer a salary range of 87,100-108,800 USD (or local equivalent), plus equity worth 4-5x your annual salary.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 6 months of fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 7+ of experience in global payroll management
- Able to communicate proficiently in both French and English
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with teams and cultures around the world
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, global environment
- Excellent organizational, time management, and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail and a high degree of ownership
- Strong knowledge of payroll regulations and compliance requirements in multiple countries
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Strong analytical skills and flux analysis on profit-loss and balance sheets.
- Experience with major payroll software such as Workday, ADP Workforce Now, ADP Smart Tax Compliance, Ceridian or UltiPro.
Bonus points if you have
- A GMS Certificate or CPP
- Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance, CPA or MBA
- Experience using BambooHR or Payslip
- Experience in West African/Francophone country payroll(s)
You might be a good fit if
- You’re a relationship builder and enjoy high-level stakeholder management
- You’re very organized and detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty. You’re the type that always looks at rounding errors.
- You’re eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks.
- You’re eager to leverage both internal and external data to inform your decision-making.
- You believe in iteration, and work to improve processes.
- You have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently and within a team.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.