We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a data analyst for our Payments team who’s both a SQL expert and a researcher, a self-starter that excels at exploring problems and collaborating closely with operations teams to drive growth through data.
In this role, you will:
- Be embedded closely with our operations and product teams: deriving insights from customer and merchant data, visualizing data, and then working with the operations leads and product managers to improve user and business outcomes.
- Own every step of the analytics process – from gathering requirements from business stakeholders to shipping your solution to our stakeholders and sharing your findings with others.
- Collaborate with the product team and interface with the local teams in our operating countries.
- Navigate large data sets and derive meaning to deliver insights to product and operations teams.
- Support building up our data infrastructure together with our engineering team.
- You may rotate to other product teams over time.
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, depending on your level of experience and location, we offer a salary range starting from USD 95,000 to USD 133,900 (or local equivalent), plus equity.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 6 months of fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Strong technical SQL skills and expertise in manipulating and analyzing data
- 3+ years experience as a Data Analyst or Business Data Analyst
- Technical expertise in data models, database design development, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Experience with data visualization platforms (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, Looker, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics, or equivalent
- Fluent in English and French
- Strong analytical thinking and experience extracting insights using a statistical approach
You might be a good fit if you
- Excel at turning vague business requirements into clear action items, and are fearless in pushing back on requests.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Have excellent focus, prioritizing your research and work using an iterative approach (you know when a project is good enough to stop, and you rarely get lost in details).
- Enjoy creating data visualizations and dashboards that aid discovery using a variety of platforms.
- Can apply appropriate statistical models when needed.
- Are able to compellingly present your findings to technical and non-technical audiences and make proactive recommendations based on data.
- Are excited about working in a culturally diverse environment, helping teams across the organization to make the best use of data.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.