We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an Accounting Manager who’s resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. You'll be responsible for helping develop and maintain an effective financial and accounting unit as we rapidly scale our business.
In this role, you'll be responsible for the following:
- Managing the group of employees recording all the bank activity across all our markets into our ledger and reconciling our ledger to the bank at the close of business each day
- Ensuring all bank accounts are thoroughly and accurately reconciled on a daily basis
- Managing the accounting tools used to record the daily bank activity
- Working with our engineers to improve and automate processes
- Maintaining confidence and protecting operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Leading by living Wave's values and ensuring they're deeply ingrained within your team.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Dakar or Abidjan but will cover multiple markets and may travel to field locations.
- Work authorization in Senegal or Cote d’Ivoire.
- This is a permanent position.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting
- Minimum of 5 years experience in auditing/accounting
- Fluent in English
- Proficient in Word and Excel
- Possess strong accounting skills.
- Experience in managing people
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a critical thinker that likes to challenge the status quo.
- Are deadline-oriented.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Experience in an audit firm as an added value
- Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions while managing time factors.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.