We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
Our organization is growing quickly, generating demanding roles, with plenty of room for professional and personal growth. We have launched several business products and are looking to scale-up acquisition of new businesses for these products. The Head of Sales will shape our sales organization and scale revenue to the next level. The ideal candidate will be responsible for building and implementing a sales strategy and growing the sales team in Senegal.
In this role, you will;
- Be responsible for bringing on and managing relationships with organizations (companies, non-profits, small and medium enterprises) for Wave business products, including APIs, bulk payment, collection, and merchant payments.
- Drive partnerships with government and public administrations, i.e. ministries, public state agencies, town halls, etc.
- Manage the Corporate Sales team responsible for growing the portfolio of the organization using Wave`s business products.
- Be revenue-focused on how we can cross-sell products to our clients, evangelize the products and be personally involved in acquiring businesses.
- Own overall plans and strategies for acquiring businesses and achieving the company's overall sales targets.
- Document and share progress with the sales pipeline to support organizational planning, financial forecasting, budget setting, and strategic planning.
- Establish the inbound lead requirements needed to meet your sales objectives.
- Establish and foster partnerships and relationships with key customers both externally and internally.
- Build process and funnel for prospecting, negotiation, onboarding, activation, and expansion.
- Work collaboratively across teams - including Compliance, Engineering, Product and Marketing.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Dakar and may travel to field locations within Senegal.
- Work authorization in Senegal.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and a beautiful office space.
- Fluent in English & French.
- Previous experience in sales/business development.
- 7+ years of experience in sales especially in mobile money/financial services.
- Worked in the field force with a proven track record in building segmentation and targeting.
- Successfully managed a sales team with experience in sales coverage models and quota setting.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and problem-solving skills.
- Industry experience and use of a CRM is a plus.
- Bonus point if you are fluent in Wolof.
You might be a good fit if you
- Take ownership.
- Have developed useful systems to independently drive your work.
- Have a high level of Integrity.
- Have a great network and business contacts.
- Have strong financial acumen.
- Are metrics/result-driven.
- Are tenacious.
- Have previous sales experience for B2B products.
- Have good management experience.
- Are strong at building relationships.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.