We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We are looking to hire a Press & Public Relations Manager who will own our brand and external communication as we rapidly scale our business in Côte d'Ivoire.
In this role, you'll:
- Own Wave's PR strategy for Cote d'Ivoire, from its development to implementation
- Manage external relations for the General Manager and
- Run media trainings and capacity building workshops
- Lead on online interactive PR in close collaboration with social media teams during crisis
- Build and sustain relations with local + country desk of international press and agencies
- Execute in-country level crisis management
- Coordinate and manage all press/media requests and work on article and press interviews
- Manage and spearhead country level media placements and ensure Wave steadily moves from paid to earned media
- Ensure that Wave has good presentation in all events by supporting the country General Manager and Heads of Departments with speeches and content
- Execute PR & Comms stories/content strategy in-country
- Handle media facing responsibilities on country level for radio and TV
- Location: Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Work authorization in Côte d'Ivoire required
- Language: Excellent English, French written and verbal skills
- Previous Experience:
- 8+ years in leading corporate communications at a multinational company
- 2+ years working with major media houses in Côte d’Ivoire, including on media buying
You might be a good fit if you
- Have developed and led a communication/PR strategy in Côte d'Ivoire
- Have experience in crisis management
- Have strong track record in working with media in implementing PR strategy
- Have experience in buying media
- Enjoy working at a fast pace and taking on new challenges
- Are a creative storyteller with strategic vision and great attention to detail in implementation
- Are intellectually curious and creative in the way you go about tackling problems
- Are tech-savvy and comfortable navigating new tools
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.