We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a General Manager who’s deeply passionate, resourceful and driven by the desire to lead. You'll be responsible for overseeing our operations in Uganda as we rapidly scale our business there. To be successful in this role, you should be a thoughtful leader and a confident decision-maker, you should be a thoughtful leader and a confident decision-maker, helping our team develop while ensuring our customer base is on the rise.
In this role you'll;
- Oversee the business in Uganda, working from first principles to understand the problems blocking the business’ growth and taking ownership over resolving those problems.
- Seek out opportunities for expansion and growth by developing new business relationships, carrying out public policy work, and engaging with external stakeholders. You will be the public face of Wave Uganda.
- Work closely with company’s executive team to determine key objectives and operationalize strategies for Wave Uganda.
- Provide management of key functional managers within the company, specifically in business development, finance, compliance, legal, and people.
- Lead by living Wave's values, and ensure they're deeply engrained within the team.
- Be an advocate for your team within the company more broadly.
- Help to develop Wave’s global strategy by sharing insights and learnings from Uganda.
- You'll work from our office in Kampala, with occasional travel to field locations.
- This is a permanent position
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized child care when you return to work
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- We offer an Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and a beautiful office space.
- 10+ years of experience either in finance, fintech, telecoms or technology sectors as a senior leader or executive
- Work authorization in Uganda.
- 10+ years of experience managing cross-functional teams.
- Strong track record in building country level and multi-country partnerships in Africa.
- Very strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Experience working in the mobile money or the financial sector will be an added advantage.
You might be a good fit if you.
- Have built and led strong teams in achieving key results.
- Are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing financial services to the people who need them the most.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Possess a bias toward action and testing, and are analytical in your approach.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Enjoy owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
- You can quickly learn regulatory requirements and prioritize paths to meeting them.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.