We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an Expansion Lead who is experienced in managing teams, incredibly detail-oriented, and analytical that can own Wave’s expansion strategy into new markets. You'll be responsible for Wave's expansion roadmap, including obtaining new regulatory licenses, sequencing Wave's new country launches, and managing the individuals working on acquiring licenses, and leading initial launch work as we rapidly scale our business across Africa.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage both the team of individuals working on obtaining licenses and the team executing tasks ahead of a new country launch.
- Own Wave’s expansion strategy:
- Aggregate various information from potential countries to determine plans for licensing and launch. Specifically: collect regulatory requirements, track policy decisions on regulation, stay informed on mobile money taxes and other factors that may influence Wave’s expansion strategy.
- Be the key decision-maker in determining priority countries to dedicate resources for licensing and launch work.
- Identify strategic opportunities and together with the team execute on ideal paths for launching in new markets.
- Lead hiring and management of local consultants to support licensing and launch activities.
- Build relationships with external partners and internal stakeholders that are key to Wave’s successful rapid expansion.
- Employees in remote positions at Wave can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -8 and +4) with reliable internet access in the US, Canada, United Kingdom, Belgium, Poland, Spain, Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Mali, Uganda, Kenya, or Ghana.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country).
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance.
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement.
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching.
- +8 years of experience.
- Experienced managing a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Bilingual – French and English.
- Experience working with government or regulators in Africa.
- Analytical – able to absorb different data from various sources and build an effective strategy.
- Expertise in working with diverse stakeholders to achieve complex and challenging objectives.
- Demonstrated experience owning large projects and senior responsibility at an organization.
- Knowledge of mobile money is an advantage.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets.
- Enjoy organizing large events - you'll be the point of contact to both suppliers and the team.
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.