We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an Expansion Business Operations Lead who is tech-savvy, incredibly organized, and comfortable managing complex international projects with diverse stakeholders. You'll be responsible for managing Wave’s launches in new markets, including managing individuals in new markets, building processes and playbooks to improve the effectiveness of each launch, and ensuring that work is prioritized effectively as we rapidly scale our business across Africa.
In this role, you'll;
- Be responsible for market launch preparations across 3-4 markets simultaneously.
- Manage launch business operations leads who are operating locally in each country to prepare launches.
- Ensure that product teams have the information that they need to localize Wave products.
- Be the go-to hiring manager for roles related to launching, including writing job descriptions, carrying out interviews, and making sure hiring is on track for launch.
- Work closely with all internal teams at Wave to make sure that tasks in the preparation to launch are being prioritized and are adequately resourced.
- Improve launch playbooks and ensure lessons learned from each new market is applied to future launches.
- Build relationships with external partners and internal stakeholders that are key to Wave’s successful launches.
- Advice on sequencing of launches and timelines.
- Remote position can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -8 and +4) with reliable internet access.
- Expected 30% travel to support with launch preparation work and onboarding of new hires.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country).
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance.
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement.
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching.
- 6+ years of experience.
- Experienced working in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual – French and English.
- Expertise in working with diverse stakeholders including product and engineering teams as well as external partners to achieve complex and challenging objectives.
- Demonstrated experience effectively executing and managing large cross-cutting projects with many moving parts.
- Knowledge of mobile money is an advantage.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets.
- Enjoy organizing large events - you'll be the point of contact to both suppliers and the team.
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.