We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for an Agent Liquidity Lead who's resourceful and excited about getting things done. You will effectively manage agent liquidity and cash operations in The Gambia to ensure that our agent liquidity and customer needs at agents are sufficiently and cost-effectively met. You will continually review and improve agent liquidity, Cash in Transit operations, and security standards and processes and ensure strict SLA adherence to all cash operations core requirements with Cash In Transit firms, our staff, and our agents.
In this role, you'll:
- Build and lead a skilled team capable of responding to the fast-growing Wave environment in The Gambia
- Develop necessary materials for a sustainable and structured liquidity department
- Be on top of the liquidity status nationwide.
- Identify priority areas and develop innovative solutions to Wave's liquidity needs.
- Coordinate and lead the unit team to implement strategy and achieve planned OKRs in agent operations
- Identify, plan and coordinate projects per month to help in process and tools improvement within the agent ops team.
- Support policy reviews and process documentation, including key learning, and help with knowledge transfer sessions with other affiliate country operations.
- Assists with ideas and special programs and projects design and pilot implementation as may be determined by the business related to your unit;
- Work from first principles to understand the user's most significant problems and then figure out how the processes and tools should solve those problems.
- Prioritize the biggest problems blocking the unit's performance and impact.
- Support the Head of the agent ops in-country in people sourcing, development, coordination, and management.
- Location: The Gambia
- Work authorization in The Gambia required
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- 7+ years of experience managing cash movement/cash-in-transit, preferably in the banking or mobile money sector
- 4+ years of experience managing a cash movements/cash-in-transit team
- A bachelor degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Management, or comparable field
- A secondary degree in finance or any related field will be an added advantage.
- Tools: Excel/Google sheet Proficiency
- Language: Strong proficiency in English and local languages are an advantage
- Willingness to travel 50% of the time within The Gambia
- High levels of integrity
- Proven experience in Customer Relationship Management
- Strong knowledge of agent network management
- Strong negotiation skills
You might be a good fit if you.
- Understand the challenge of scaling an agent network fast while maintaining quality standards.
- Have strong analytical skills
- Good at process documentation and effective at knowledge transfer
- Are adaptable and a creative thinker, and willing to iterate and fail quickly
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication
- Think from first principles (basic theoretical form) about how things should work
- Think about culture and process from the users' perspective
- Have led a team whose role was to ensure the efficient day to day running of an agent network
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.