We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for a Fraud Risk Analyst for Mali who's resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. Your main objective will be to help protect the interests of Wave mobile money customers, agents, and the business from fraud risk, while also ensuring that our services remain accessible and easy to use by the target users. The position will report to our Fraud Operations Lead.
In this role, you'll:
- Assess fraud risks periodically.
- Determine the vulnerabilities of our customers, agent, and staff as potential targets for fraud.
- Provide reliable and relevant data and dashboards, including partner and statutory reporting.
- Assist in preparing fraud training materials based on our risk exposure.
- Assist in reporting and communication between stakeholders on fraud issues, including customers.
- Investigate and escalate issues and take action upon detection of suspicious activity.
- Monitor suspicious transactions and follow up on required actions.
- Investigate fraud cases and liaise with the legal department and local authorities to close cases.
- Perform data analysis on fraud to gather useful information and support decision-making
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Bamako, with occasional travel to field locations in Mali.
- Work authorization in Mali required
- This is a permanent position.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- 2+ years of experience with financial sector case investigation, fraud risk controls, regulatory requirements, and the market practices
- Bachelor's degree or above in IT, business administration, finance criminology, or other relevant disciplines
- Proficiency in French, English, and Bambara.
- Must have solid computer skills
- Must have strong integrity
- Willing to travel and stay in regions for long periods.
- Prior work experience in banking or mobile money would be an advantage.
You might be a good fit if you.
- Have good analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Are self-motivated and able to work under pressure.
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.