We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for a creative and resourceful communication officer as we are rapidly scaling our business in Sénégal and are looking to expand our marketing and communication team. Reporting to Wave's Marketing manager, you'll be responsible for executing and coordinating Wave's communication strategy for Sénégal.
In this role, you'll:
- Work on the implementation and execution of Wave's communication strategy for Sénégal
- Develop, copy write and edit communications materials
- Assist PR manager with day to day press and stakeholder relations
- Coordinate media buying and press relationship following PR strategy
- Be responsible for press and media monitoring in Senegal.
- Support marketing team strategies with messaging and creative briefs
- Location: Dakar, Sénégal - possible travels within the country
- Work authorization in Sénégal required
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- 3+ years in a communication position (at an ad agency, media house, or marketing/communication service of a Telco/bank/fintech/FMCG company)
- A Bachelor's degree in Communication or higher
- Language: Fluent in French and Wolof. Professional proficiency in English.
- Full proficiency with Ms office suite
- Solid Copywriting skills in French and Wolof
- Can use Adobe Suite
- Experience in communication/PR strategy/internal comms projects in Sénégal will be an added advantage.
- Experience in media buying, content creation, and press relations will also be an added advantage.
- Experience in a fast-growing fintech or telco environments will be an added advantage.
You might be a good fit if you.
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are a creative storyteller with strategic vision and great attention to detail in implementation
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Enjoy organizing large events - you'll be the point of contact to both suppliers and the team.
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions
- Are intellectually curious and creative in the way you go about tackling problems and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.