We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Regional Head of People who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for expanding solid culture practices in a hub of countries as we scale the business.
You will spin up the People Leads and their teams in your hub to ensure the development for all co-workers, inspiring them to perform and remain with Wave by:
- Working in partnership with the business staff functions
- Ensuring the appropriate processes and tools are well implemented
- Actively contributing to the growth of the business through people
The Head of People and Culture will provide high-quality leadership and oversight on the delivery of Wave’s People strategy.
This role manages the provision of effective and professional human resources People services and advice. This means implementation of relevant People’s policies and strategic initiatives to ensure we retain and promote highly skilled and motivated people in Wave operating countries.
Key elements to the role will be the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse and committed group of managers and their teams; be ‘hands on’ when required; and encourage an organizational culture that supports effective behaviors and ways of working that demonstrate a clear commitment to Wave values, mission, and vision.
In this role, you'll:
- Overview and lead the People Operations in a hub of minimum 5 countries.
- Inspire and empower all team members, especially the People Team, to perform to the best of their abilities and spin-up quickly on assignments.
- Coach, motivate and support People Ops Leads in-country on implementing and maintaining our People policies, business needs, procedures, and office administrative systems in Wave - and in the delivery of high quality services.
- Participate and conduct the Performance Management Reviews processes twice a year
- Support Management by providing advisory in all People related matters or concerns both to employees and to the leadership
- Serve as leader and go-to partner in supporting the company’s strategic plans and organizational charts and expansion plans
- Coach and overview People Ops Leads on relevant Wave policies, services, systems, and processes.
- Contribute in spinning up the onboarding process in new markets to offer the high-level experience to new hires
- Oversee administrative duties and logistics in offices, and ensure the quality of working and living conditions are in good standards while ensuring smooth logistics operations of the office on a day-to-day basis.
- Control and optimize the Operations costs and expenditures in your hub of countries.
- Contribute to making Wave a diverse workplace, developing a trustful and joyful climate that encourages open and honest dialogue/communication
- Cultivate our culture to keep everyone aligned, engaged, and motivated
- At any time, act as an ambassador for Wave values and drive initiatives to keep the Wave Culture and values a living reality.
- Location: Senegal with frequent travels- up to 30% travel allowance
- You must have work authorization in Senegal
- This is a permanent position
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment
- Airtime reimbursement
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- Bachelor's degree or professional training in business administration, HR, or any other related field
- Knowledge of HRIS systems or open to learning how to use our HR systems at Wave
- Live and share Wave’s values would be a plus
- At least 5 years experience in a similar role, ideally at a high growth company
- Strong organizational and time management skills and an ability to prioritize.
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly with various audiences in English, both verbally and in writing
You might be a good fit if you.
- Are people focussed - You to put our people at the heart of everything you and your team do.
- Are resilient - We move fast and things can change quickly - you're not afraid of adapting to strategy changes and updates
- Are inspiring - You naturally take the lead when it comes to building and maintaining company culture. You're a human leader that people look up to and you easily connect with people.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get things done
- Can function autonomously with minimal or no guidance
- Possess strong collaboration, communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Have coached or trained successful teams to achieve ambitious goals
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- Analytical in your approach to problems
- Have developed processes with minimal guidance and have implemented them
- Are solution-driven, detail-oriented with strong task follow-through
- Can understand and follow established priorities
- Are flexible to work irregular hours
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.