We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Communication officer to assist the PR team in its daily operation. We are rapidly scaling our business in Côte d’Ivoire and are looking to expand our team with a communication officer that is resourceful and creative. You will be reporting to Wave’s PR manager.
In this role, you'll:
- Work on the implementation and execution of Wave’s communication strategy for Côte d’Ivoire.
- Assist PR manager with day to day press and stakeholder relations
- Handle copy writing of communication materials
- Coordinate media buying and press relationship following PR strategy
- Be responsible for press and media monitoring in CI
- Support marketing team strategies with messaging
- 5 years in a communication position (at an ad agency, media house including media buying, or marketing/communication service of a Telco/bank/fintech/FMCG company)
- Strong understanding of the Ivorian social and economical context
- Full proficiency with Ms office suite (especially Excel and Powerpoint presentation)
- Language: Fluent in French. Professional proficiency in English. Fluency in a vernacular Ivorian language is a plus.
- Strong copy writing skills in French and English
- Location is Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Fluent in French & English
- Work authorization in Côte d'Ivoire
- This is a permanent position
You might be a good fit if you
- Have worked on communication/PR strategy/internal comms projects in Côte d’Ivoire
- Have experience working with media in implementing communication strategy
- Have experience in media buying and press relations
- Are a creative storyteller with strategic vision and great attention to details in implementation
- Enjoy working at a fast pace and taking on new challenges
- Are intellectually curious and creative in the way you go about tackling problems
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
Bonus points if you
- Have experience in content creation
- Can use adobe suite
- Have worked within the fintech or telco environments
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.