We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
Wave is looking for a brand designer who is fluent in French to support print and digital design at Wave. A majority of the projects will be print-based, however, there will also be layout, production, and visual design-related projects.
While the work will be based on our brand identity and guidelines, you will have a hand in forming visuals and creating assets for the Product Brand. This is a highly collaborative role that will report to the Design Lead and work closely with the Product Marketing Manager, external agencies, and vendors to make extraordinary brand design work.
As a Brand Designer, you’ll:
- Create a variety of materials including social media graphics, blog graphics, recruiting materials, newsletters graphics, print assets, and more using our current visual language
- Adhere to project requirements and concepts while taking direction from the Design Lead
- Design digital and print collateral, including social media for the Employer Brand and Product Brand
- Create print assets for BTL marketing, events, and activations
- Create and improve visuals for external and internal presentations
- Manage medium to large-scale projects independently
- Manage ambiguity effectively and influence the direction of your projects by identifying new opportunities and methods
- Travel frequently to Sénégal and Côte d’Ivoire or other French-speaking market countries to manage creative direction of mass media campaigns & interface with external agencies in French
- Contribute to quality of design in the creative team by offering insightful feedback during team pairing sessions
- Balance multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Be an advocate of great design
- Remote position and can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access
- Our team meets in a market country every two months for retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel to and from the market country.
- You will be expected to travel frequently to Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Mali or any of our francophone markets.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Fluent in English & French - you will be expected to communicate seamlessly with colleagues in English and external agencies in French
- Willingness to travel frequently to Sénégal, Côte d’Ivoire, and potentially other French-speaking market countries to direct media campaigns with an external agency
- 4 - 6 years of relevant work experience
- Strong visual and communications design skills
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Interest in creating polished, conversion-focused marketing campaigns
- Excellent typography, vector, and illustration skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and can build trust quickly
- Are comfortable working with existing brand guidelines
- Have a growth mindset and are eager to learn new things
- Experience with motion design, animation, and video editing is a plus
- Please submit a portfolio when applying to this role
You might be a good fit if you
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Have worked with agencies in the past
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets
- Are able to work quickly and take initiative for projects
- Embrace collaboration in the creative process and cross-functional communication
- Have experience giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication when it comes to coordination. Priorities can change quickly and making sure everyone is on the same page is important
- Are a strategic thinker and able to see an idea through conception to execution
- Have a background in African fintech or mobile money
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.