We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Head of Business Development who can lead Wave’s business development strategy and partnerships in Cote d’Ivoire. You’ll be responsible for establishing a dynamic business development team that acquires the necessary partners to support the various partnership needs. These needs include but are not limited to product, integration and agent networks as we continue to scale in Cote d’Ivoire.
The ideal candidate enjoys building and nurturing teams, has an excellent track record in strategic partnership building and a deep network of contacts across a variety of industries: telcos, financial institutions and other technology companies.
Our business development team currently includes 3 people in Senegal and 3 people in Cote d’Ivoire. We expect to add 3 additional reports in new markets next year.
In this role, you'll:
- Build and strengthen relationships with the banks, telecom operators and businesses that Wave needs to succeed.
- Manage and scale Wave’s business development teams in Cote d’Ivoire, including identifying the optimal structure, hiring the individuals needed and leading the team as we grow.
- Design and shape processes to define the business development team’s role and execute efficiently in meeting the business’ dynamic needs.
- Deeply understand how Wave operates and positions itself, in order to effectively prioritize work in response to complex or challenging problems faced across Wave’s different teams.
- Facilitate communication between external partners and internal Wave teams (Product, Finance, Distribution)
- Proactively build in-country and multi-country partnerships that are effective in achieving Wave’s objectives in Cote d’Ivoire
- Lead by living Wave's values, and ensure they're deeply engrained within your team.
- Location is primarily in Ivory Coast (Abidjan) with possibility of short-term relocations within Ivory Coast.
- You’d be required to travel within Cote d’Ivoire to meet with partners and help the team close complex deals, there might be some travel to our existing/new markets to better understand business development best practices and mentor new team members.
- Our team meets in Senegal or Cote d’Ivoire every four months for retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- Fluent in French and English.
- 5+ years experience in a senior management role at a global organization.
- Excellent leadership skills. Have led a team of at least 8 people.
- Track record in preparing presentations and documents in French/English for external partners.
- 4+ years of experience either in finance, fintech, telecoms or technology sectors, leading partnerships or business development in West Africa.
- Strong track record in building country level and multi-country partnerships in Africa.
- Very strong communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Optional: experience working in the mobile money sector.
You might be a good fit if you
- Slow-moving processes or partners frustrate you, but you’re inclined to lean into the problem and push however you can rather than accept a slow pace.
- A clear and proactive communicator, you are able to independently follow through on tasks and can manage priorities effectively.
- You know how to navigate working with senior partners and stakeholders by spotting and seizing upon mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Well organized and can manage competing priorities.
- You can quickly learn regulatory requirements and prioritize paths to meeting them.
- You’re enthusiastic about Wave’s mission and excited to do what needs to be done to achieve it.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.