We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
You'll help us adopt React Native across Wave.
We currently have 8+ product teams contributing to 5 different mobile apps and numerous internal web apps. With that much surface area, having a consistent developer experience is critical so that product engineers can focus on the product, not on learning three different front-end technologies. Our mobile apps are currently native, but we're migrating to React Native because it offers a better developer experience, makes it easier to invest in development tooling, and simplifies product teams with the appropriate expertise.
You'll help Wave's product teams adopt React Native and increase their velocity by:
- Embedding with product teams while they work on migrating to React Native
- Building shared libraries and tooling to solve common problems shared by many product teams (e.g., release engineering, feature flagging)
- Developing and propagating best practices for mobile development
- Helping other engineers with tricky design/architecture problems
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access.
- Every two to four months, you'll travel to Africa for a one-week retreat with the rest of Wave's remote team. (Wave covers all costs.)
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, depending on your level of experience and location, we offer a salary range of $142,000 - $170,000(or local equivalent), plus extremely generous equity.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- Six months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance.
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- You care a lot about working on software whose mission you can believe in.
- You have 4+ years of professional engineering experience.
- You have 1+ years of professional experience with React Native, TypeScript, and GraphQL.
About engineering at Wave
- Boring technology
- Simple, predictable designs
- Deeply understanding our tools and systems.
- Being tenacious in the face of tricky problems
- Constantly trying to improve, as engineers and colleagues.
- frontend: TypeScript/React/React Native (legacy mobile frontends in Kotlin/Swift)
- API layer: GraphQL
- backend: Python 3 (+ mypy)
- database: Postgres
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.