We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a data analyst who’s both a SQL expert and a researcher; a self-starter that excels at exploring problems and producing analytical content. You'll be embedded with our People Operations team: deriving insights from employee and candidate data, visualizing data and then working with senior leadership, recruiters, and other stakeholders to improve employee and business outcomes. You'll own every step of the research process—from gathering requirements, to shipping your solution for users or stakeholders, to sharing your findings with others.
In this role, you'll:
- Work within the People Operations team but interface with a variety of teams in dozens of countries. You may rotate to other teams over time.
- Research problems or processes that require data-driven improvements.
- Navigate large sets of data and derive meaning to deliver insights to stakeholders.
- Support or manage projects implementing data-focused tools.
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4).
- Every four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula. For this role, depending on your level and location, we offer a salary of 78,200-97,750 USD, plus equity targeted to be worth 2-4x your salary.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country).
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance.
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement.
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching.
- Fluent in English
- 3+ years in a similar position
- Advanced knowledge of SQL
- Experience with data visualization platforms (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, Looker, etc.)
- Strong analytical thinking and experience extracting insights using a statistical approach
- Bachelor’s degree
You might be a good fit if you.
- Are excellent at manipulating and analyzing data, and able to work with advanced SQL patterns.
- Can navigate new data domains quickly, understanding the underlying business problems.
- Can apply appropriate statistical models, including predictive models.
- Have excellent focus, prioritizing your research and work using an iterative approach.
- Create data visualizations and dashboards that aid discovery, using a variety of platforms.
- Are able to compellingly present your findings and make proactive recommendations based on data.
- Are excited about working in a culturally diverse environment, helping teams across the organization to make the best use of data.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.