We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
As our Payroll Manager, Global Payroll, you will be part of the HR Systems & Mobility team. You will focus on making Wave's global payroll practice seamless.
In the role, you'll:
- Responsible for accurate and timely payrolls for all countries in compliance with local tax and labor regulations, including variable pay, stock, or other supplemental or non-recurring pay runs, and ensuring timely tax deposits
- Mentor, develop, hire and train in-country payroll teams
- Manage internal/external payroll audits
- Manage relationships with external payroll providers in all locations
- Drive special projects, including process documentation and improvements, system updates, integrations, upgrades, or implementations
- Develop, drive and report on key metrics for the function
- Support management on ad hoc and growth-oriented projects such as scalability initiatives.
- Location: Remote
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +3) with reliable Internet access.
- Every four months, our remote team meets in Africa for a one-week retreat. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Salary: Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Experience leading the global payroll function at a rapidly scaling multinational high-tech company
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills
- Strong analytical skills and flux analysis on PL and BS
- Experience with major payroll software such as Workday ADP Workforce Now, ADP Smart Tax Compliance, Ceridian or UltiPro, and related report writers
- Experience implementing a large-scale payroll system or major upgrade a strong plus
- Versed in current payroll procedures and related laws
- Proficient with MS PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal, in addition to strong problem-solving skills
- Resourceful, innovative, with a can-do attitude and attention to detail
- GMS Certificate or CPP (Preferred)
- Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance, CPA or MBA Preferred
- Experience using BambooHR (Bonus)
You might be a good fit if you.
- You know the value of a great onboarding experience and are eager to help employees get started.
- Are very organized and like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty.
- Are driven to face tasks head-on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones.
- Are eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks.
- You're keen to leverage both internal and external data to inform your decision-making.
- You believe in iteration and work to improve processes.
- Are tech-savvy and feel comfortable troubleshooting tech issues.
- Have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently and within a team.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.