We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Policy Leader in Francophone Africa who is excited about working with policymakers, regulators, and other key stakeholders to educate the market on Wave’s value proposition and impact. You’ll be responsible for engaging with policymakers across our existing and new Francophone African markets and building out local teams to execute day-to-day policy work.
We’re looking for a great manager who enjoys building and nurturing teams and has an excellent track record in influencing policymakers.
Our policy team currently includes just two people in Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire. We expect to have at least one policy team member in each of our new markets.
In this role, you'll:
- Lead Wave's Public Policy efforts across Francophone Africa, define the team's objectives, and design and shape processes to execute them efficiently.
- Build out Wave's public policy teams across multiple countries, including identifying the optimal structure, hiring the individuals needed, and leading the team as Wave grows into new markets.
- Educate policymakers across Africa on why it's crucial for fintechs to have fair access to telco services.
- Act as a transparent and constructive stakeholder to build lasting relationships with policymakers like governments, regulators (central banks and telco regulators), third parties, and academics on a range of policy issues of interest to the company
- Partner with global and regional teams to build and execute stakeholder engagement strategies and campaigns that support positive regulatory reform and enhance Wave's overall reputation
- Speak at engagements and travel frequently across the region.
- Lead by living Wave's values, and engrain them deeply within your team.
- Remote position and can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -8 and +4) with reliable Internet access
- 50% travel required. You'll work closely with different in-country teams to troubleshoot and escalate any policy-related issues.
- Our team meets in Senegal or Cote d'Ivoire every four months for retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 6 months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 6+ years experience in a senior policy or similar role at a global, pan African, or Francophone African organization.
- 2+ years of experience leading a team of at least three people with strong leadership and people management skills.
- Bilingual fluent in both English and French
- Solid communication and stakeholder management skills
- Willing to work hours that match a GMT timezone (to facilitate collaboration with colleagues in Africa)
- Experience working in the tech, fintech, banking, or mobile money sector will be an added advantage.
You might be a good fit if you.
- Slow-moving processes or partners frustrate you, but you're inclined to lean into the problem and push however you can rather than accept a slow pace.
- Are a clear and proactive communicator, you can independently follow through on tasks and manage priorities effectively.
- You know how to navigate working with senior partners and stakeholders by spotting and seizing upon mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Well organized and can manage competing priorities.
- You can quickly learn regulatory requirements and prioritize paths to meeting them.
- You're enthusiastic about Wave's mission and excited to do what needs to be done to achieve it.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.