We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for a BTL Manager who's creative, resourceful, and has experience executing large-scale, below-the-line marketing strategies within African markets. You'll help manage the day-to-day operations of our BTL marketing activities and mobile money branding as we rapidly scale our business and help us maintain desirable user growth and agent activation rates.
In this role, you'll:
- Manage day-to-day logistics of marketing operations: roadshows, stands, events, etc.
- Plan and implement special marketing programs according to the above plan
- Understand marketing and commercial sectors goals and constraints and translate these into relevant action sheets & marketing briefs
- Accountable for preparing and arranging projects Launch plans
- Provide reports, specifications, and creative briefs
- Recommending sources (new channels, partnerships, alliances through networking and influencers) for the growth of our users; basically, help create and develop new BTL activations.
- Assist in creating, implementing, and developing an annual marketing plan
- Manage the relationship with the BTL agencies.
- Plan & supervise the seasonal on-ground activations & promotions.
- Draft and execute specific marketing programs according to the plan
- Location: You'll work from our office in Kampala with frequent travel or temporary relocation to field locations within Uganda
- You must have work authorization in Uganda.
- This is a permanent position.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience at a marketing agency, telecom, payment service provider, FMCG or financial institution.
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or similar area
- Speak and write English fluently.
- Knowledge of one or more local languages
You might be a good fit if you.
- Have successfully executed marketing operations and events.
- Love to be in the field and do not mind doing some handy work.
- Are diplomatic and have excellent communication skills.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Enjoy owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- Think about culture and process from the users' perspective.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.