We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Business Development Manager in Cote d’Ivoire who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for supporting the HQ Business Development Lead to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders (telecom operators, banks and business partners) as we rapidly scale our business in Ivory Coast.
In this role, you'll:
- Build and strengthen relationships with the banks, telecom operators and businesses that Wave needs to succeed
- Develop presentations, proposals and source partnerships
- Facilitate communication between external partners and internal Wave teams (Product, Finance, Distribution)
- Manage the relationship with Wave's stakeholders including telecom operators, banks and third party suppliers (eg. for bill payment) to ensure that Wave's service level agreements are met
- Provide reporting data required by Wave's mobile operator partner
- Develop and update presentations for partner meetings
- Take notes in partner meetings and share relevant information with the key individuals
- Research and contact potential new partners for Wave's bulk payment solution
- Onboard new bulk payment partners to Wave's system, including answering questions and meeting with them in person to best understand their needs
- Accompany Wave partners on field visits to meet our users
- Location is primarily in Abidjan, with possibility of short-term relocations within Cote d'Ivoire
- Work authorization in Cote d'Ivoire required
- At least 2 years' experience in business development, fintech, finance or telecoms in Cote d'Ivoire
- Track record in preparing presentations and documents in French/English for external partners
- Fluent in French and English
- Secondary degree education in Communications, International Relations, Business Management, or a comparable field
- Experience working with an international company will be an added advantage
You might be a good fit if you are:
- Well organized, detail-oriented with accurate, clear and enjoy studying excel sheets
- A clear and proactive communicator, you are able to independently follow through on tasks and can manage priorities effectively
- You like team work, but you also know how to work well independently
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.