We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Fraud Risk Operations Lead for Burkina Faso who’s resourceful, organized and proactive about getting things done. You'll be responsible to help protect the interests of Wave mobile money customers, agents and the business from fraud risk, while also ensuring that our services remain accessible and easy to use by the target users. The position will report to our Burkina Faso General Manager with and with
In this role you’ll:
- Review and draft related policy and operating procedures
- Prepare fraud awareness training materials and participate in the delivery of training in liaison with the agent network training manager to staff and agents.
- Define customer communication and suspicious activity awareness process and implementation.
- Identify and assess fraud risks;
- Determine the vulnerabilities of our customers (transnational fraud risk), agents (channel fraud risk) and staff (internal fraud risk) as potential targets for fraud.
- Build and maintain a portfolio of potential types of fraud and ways to mitigate them, in collaboration with the Engineering Product Manager – Fraud.
- Establish effective controls – work with operations and engineering teams to design and build effective operational and digital controls;
- Preventive Controls
- Detective Controls
- Work with the internal teams to provide required tools for fraud detection, investigation and prevention.
- Reliable and relevant data and dashboards, including partner and statutory reporting.
- Clear reporting and communication channels between stakeholders, including customers.
- Define internal mechanisms to report, investigate and escalate issues and take action upon detection of suspicious activity.
- Lead in the investigation of fraud cases and build internal investigative ability and liaise with the legal department and the local authorities to close cases.
- Monitor and review the fraud risk management strategy
- Other duties may be assigned as the business may require.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Ouagadougou, with occasional travel to field locations in Burkina Faso.
- This is a permanent position.
- ECOWAS work authorization strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or above in IT, business administration, finance, criminology or other relevant disciplines
- At least 5 years' relevant experience in mobile money, banking or other financial sectors
- At least 2 years with financial sector case investigative, fraud risk controls, regulatory requirements and the market practices
- Proficiency in spoken and written French and English. Fluency in Mooré would be an advantage
- Candidates with less experience may be considered for a Fraud Risk Regional Manager position
You might be a good fit if you
- Have good analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Are self-motivated and able to work under pressure.
- Have strong computer applications skills.
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in-person, to the point of over-communication.
- Are detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Have built and led strong teams in achieving key results.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Are willing to go the distance to get something done.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.